Voter Registration Information
How to do I register to vote?
Registration is open until 5:00 pm 20 days before an election. Wisconsin requires 28 days to establish residency at a new address. Temporary absence does not affect residency. Time spent away from your residence still counts toward the 28 day residency requirement as long as you intend to return. When registering, you must present Proof of Residence, a document showing your current name at your current address. You cannot register to vote using a post office box.
Below are the ways in which registration can be completed:
You may register to vote online at My Vote Wisconsin ONLY if you have a valid, unexpired Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin ID, and your address on file with the DMV matches the address at which you are registering to vote. If the DMV does not have your current address on file, update your address on the DMV website before updating your voter registration at My Vote Wisconsin.
2. By Mail
Registration forms are available on the Wisconsin Elections Commission website in English, Spanish, and Hmong. To register to vote by mail, download, print and complete the application and mail the form to the City Clerk's office (100 Main Street, Suite 200, Menasha, WI 54952) with your Proof of Residency document. The registration form must be postmarked at least 20 days before the election. Registration CANNOT be completed until Proof of Residency documentation is provided.
Visit the City Clerk's Office located on the 2nd Floor of City Hall (100 Main Street, Suite 200, Menasha) up until the Friday before an election.
4. On Election Day
Register to vote at your polling place on election day. Please be prepared for possible wait times if you chose to register on election day. Registration forms will be made available and a poll worker will assist in completing the application process.
What do I need to bring with me register to vote?
To register to vote, you must provide/show proof of residency. Proof of residency may be presented in either a paper or an electronic format (smart phone, tablet, or laptop). Valid forms of POR must include the voter's name and current address. You must have lived at this current address for at least ten (10) days.
Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents
- A current and valid Wisconsin driver license
- A current and valid Wisconsin identification car
- Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
- Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder
- A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
- A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day
- A university, college, or technical institute identification card, which includes a photo
- A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (i.e. a utility bill) that is not more than 90 days old on election day
- A bank or credit card statement
- A paycheck/pay stub
- A check or other document issued by a unit of government
Unacceptable Proof of Residence Documents
- Insurance statement
- Medical bill
- Business card
- Magazine subscription
- Expired driver license/ID card
- Out-of-state driver license
- Piece of mail addressed to voter
How do I register to vote if I am currently in the military?