Registration Information

Voting & Elections

Registration Information

How to Register
Registration is open until 5:00 pm 20 days before an election. Wisconsin requires 10 days to establish residency at a new address. Temporary absence does not affect residency. Time spent away from your residence still counts toward the 10 day residency requirement as long as you intend to return. When registering, you must present Proof of Residence, a document showing your current name at your current address. You cannot register to vote at a post office box. 

You may register to vote at My Vote Wisconsin if you have a valid, unexpired Wisconsin driver license or Wisconsin ID, and your address on file with the DMV matches the address at which you are registering to vote. If the DMV does not have your current address on file, update your address on the DMV website before updating your voter registration at My Vote Wisconsin.

Registration forms are available on the Wisconsin Elections Commission website  in English PDFSpanish PDF, and Hmong PDF. To register to vote by mail, download and print the application above and mail the form to the City Clerk's office. The registration form must be postmarked at least 20 days before the election. You will need to include Proof of Residence with the form.

Mail application to:
City Clerk
100 Main Street, Suite 200
Menasha, WI 54952

Military Voters
Members of the military are not required to register to vote, but must complete forms to vote absentee. Military and overseas voters may download their absentee ballots online. Learn more about how to vote absentee.

Overseas Voters
Voters who have moved overseas with no intent to return to live in the United States may continue voting for federal offices from their last Wisconsin address. These voters may register and request absentee ballots using the Federal Postcard Application. Voters who are permanently living overseas do not need to send proof of residence with their voter registration.

Homeless Voters
Homeless voters PDF who do not have a traditional street address may register to vote using the map on the registration form to indicate a location they return to on a regular basis. They may use a letter PDF from a social service agency (public or private) as proof of residence.

Felony Convictions
An individual convicted of a felony PDF may register to vote after completing the terms of the felony sentence, including probation or parole.

When can I register to vote?
 - Online (up until 20 days before an election if your Wisconsin Driver's License or ID is up to date with the DMV).
 - By mail (up until 20 days before an election).
 - In person at the City Clerk's Office (up until the Friday before an election).
 - On Election Day at your polling place

Once registration closes at 5:00pm 20 days before an election, you may only register to vote in the City Clerk’s Office until the close of absentee voting. Registering prior to Election Day is highly recommended to avoid long lines. 

What is Proof of Residence?
Proof of Residence (POR) may be presented in either a paper or an electronic format (smart phone, tablet, or laptop). Valid forms of POR must include the voter's name and current address. You must have lived at this current address for at least ten (10) days.
Acceptable Proof of Residence Documents
 - A current and valid Wisconsin driver license 
 - A current and valid Wisconsin identification car
 - Any other official identification card or license issued by a Wisconsin governmental body or unit
 - Any identification card issued by an employer in the normal course of business and bearing a photo of the card holder
 - A real estate tax bill or receipt for the current year or the year preceding the date of the election
 - A residential lease which is effective for a period that includes Election Day
 - A university, college, or technical institute identification card, which includes a photo
 - A gas, electric, or telephone service statement (i.e. a utility bill) that is not more than 90 days old on election day
 - A bank or credit card statement
 - A paycheck/pay stub
 - A check or other document issued by a unit of government

Unacceptable Proof of Residence Documents 
 - Insurance statement
 - Medical bill
 - Business card
 - Magazine subscription
 - Expired driver license/ID card
 - Out-of-state driver license
 - Piece of mail addressed to voter

For more information about Proof of Residency, visit the Wisconsin Elections Commission website.

City Clerk 
Menasha City Center
100 Main Street, Suite 200
Menasha, Wisconsin 54952

Phone: 920-967-3608
Fax: 920-967-5273

Office Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 4:00 pm

City Clerk
Deborah A. Galeazzi email

Deputy City Clerk
Haley Mader  email