Landmarks Commission Announces 2019 Historic Menasha Photo Contest
The Menasha Landmarks Commission and the merchants of historic downtown Menasha invite everyone to participate in the 2019 "Discover Historic Menasha" photo contest.
To coincide with May being National Historic Preservation Month, the Commission is once again holding the "identify the photo" contest to build awareness and pride in the examples of historically significant architecture that may be found on the buildings throughout Menasha.
During National Historical Preservation Month, come spend some time in Menasha. Find the locations of the photos and visit the unique business establishments in the upper Main Street Historic District and other nearby. Enjoy the river walk and Marina as spring finally arrives and the boating season is just around the bend. It is a fun and educational way for the entire family to discover Menasha.
Participants need to locate the building or landmark where each photo was taken and write the address on the back of the entry form. Entry forms, which include a list of participating merchants, are now available at Menasha City Hall, Menasha Public Library, Menasha Senior Center, and many downtown businesses.
Official entry form can be found HERE. Good Luck!
Landmarks Commission Overview
The Menasha Landmarks Commission was established in October of 1995. During the creation of this commission, the Common Council declared as a matter of public policy that the "protection, enhancement, perpetuation, and use of improvements of special character, special historic interest or value is a public benefit in that such protection, enhancement, perpetuation, and continued use is believed to"...
- serve as support and stimulus of business and industry and strengthen the city's economy;
- safeguard Menasha's historic and cultural heritage;
- stabilize and improve property values;
- foster civic pride in accomplishments of the past;
- promote the use of historic structures and sites for the education and enjoyment of Menasha residents; and
- integrate the modern environment with historic buildings and sites.
The Landmarks Commission has broad responsibilities for managing the city's historic resources. These responsibilities include:
- Listing structures eligible for specially designated landmarks status
- In cooperation with the Plan Commission, preparing a Historic Preservation Plan
- Working with the state Historic Preservation Review Board to enroll designated properties in the National Register of Historic Places
- Recommending the acquisition of appropriate properties
- Establishing markers for historic sites and districts
- Promoting public education, interest, and support for the preservation and enhancement of historic features
- Advising owners of historic resources of preservation techniques and benefits
LANDMARKS GUIDEBOOK: Project Guidelines & Submission Information
HISTORIC DISTRICT APPLICATION: For Renovation, Remodel, or Signage Alterations in the Historic District
C-2 DISTRICT SIGN GUIDELINES: For Signage in the C-2 Central Business District Zoning District
HISTORIC DISTRICTS MAP: Locations of City of Menasha Historic Districts